1 Corinthians 16:13-14
Watch you, stand fast in the faith, quit you like men, be strong.…
I. THE ENEMIES WITH WHICH YOU HAVE TO CONTEND.
1. The devil.
2. The world.
(1) The men of the world engage on the side of the devil.
(2) The things of the world — honours, profits, and pleasures, how dangerous are these!
3. The flesh, by which is meant the corrupt nature, is the most dangerous enemy of all.
II. THIS EXHORTATION IMPLIES —
1. That you banish unnecessary fears, and engage in the warfare with boldness and resolution.
2. That you fight in Divine strength.
3. That you persevere in the combat.
1. Your cause is good and highly important. It is "the good fight of faith."
2. You are engaged in the presence of many spectators.
(1) God, whose eye penetrates into the inmost recesses of your hearts. He will be your impartial judge.
(2) Angels. Shall we disgrace ourselves in the sight of heaven?
3. You fight under Jesus Christ, the Captain of salvation.
4. You are sure of victory in the end.
(W. Linn, D.D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Watch ye, stand fast in the faith, quit you like men, be strong.