Take heed that you despise not one of these little ones; for I say to you…
The offices of the guardian angels are —
1. To avert dangers both of the body and the soul.
2. To illuminate and instruct those committed to their charge, and to urge them to good works.
3. To restrain the devil, that he may not suggest wicked thoughts, or furnish occasions for sin.
4. To offer to God the prayers of him whom He guards.
5. To pray for him.
6. To correct him if he sin.
7. To stand by him at the hour of death, to comfort and assist him in his last struggle.
8. After death to convey the soul to Paradise.
I. How great is the dignity of souls, that they have angels for their guardians.
II. How great is the condescension of God, that He assigns to us such guides.
III. How great is the humility and love of the angels, who do not disdain these offices, but delight in them.
Parallel VersesKJV: Take heed that ye despise not one of these little ones; for I say unto you, That in heaven their angels do always behold the face of my Father which is in heaven.