And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind, and with all your strength…
I. A TRUE LOVE TO GOD HAS THREE PRINCIPAL CONSTITUENT PARTS.
1. The love of desire, which takes its origin from the wants of man, and the fitness and willingness of God to supply them.
2. The love of gratitude, arising from the sense of the Divine goodness to us.
3. A disinterested love, having as its foundation the excellence and perfection of God considered in themselves, and without any reference to the advantages we derive from them.
II. THE MEASURE OF DIVINE LOVE.
1. That we must love God supremely above any other object.
2. With all the ardour and intensity of our soul.
(H. Kollock, D. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.