And one of the Pharisees desired him that he would eat with him. And he went into the Pharisee's house, and sat down to meat.…
I. AS IT REGARDED CHRIST.
1. He could not read Christ's nature, and undervalued it.
2. In regard to Christ, he mistook also His way of rescuing from sin.
II. AS IT REGARDED THE WOMAN.
1. The Pharisee thought that as a sinner she was to be despised.
2. He did not see that into her heart a new life had entered.
III. As IT REGARDED HIMSELF.
1. The Pharisee showed that he did not know his own heart.
2. He did not see that in condemning this woman he was rejecting the salvation of Christ.
IV. SOME TRUTHS WHICH WE MAY LEARN FROM THE PHARISEE'S MISTAKE.
1. Those who profess religion should be careful how they give a false view of it by uncharitable judgments and assumptions of superiority.
2. On the other side, we must remind those who profess to be seeking religion that they are bound to form their judgment of it from its Author.
(J. Ker, D. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And one of the Pharisees desired him that he would eat with him. And he went into the Pharisee's house, and sat down to meat.