For to us a child is born, to us a son is given: and the government shall be on his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful…
I. JESUS CHRIST IS THE MOST WONDERFUL BEING THIS WORLD EVER SAW.
1. Because of the number and character of the prophecies announcing His advent and mission.
2. Because of what He said of Himself. He distinctly declared that He existed before He was born. "Before Abraham was I am." Now, in the matter of natural birth, man is utterly without choice or control, nor is he consulted as to his coming, whether it shall be now or in the future, this place or that. But Jesus Christ declared that He had perfect control in all these matters, — control in coming, and control in going, — "No man taketh away My life. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again." He actually said He was God. He invited all to come to Him for pardon and eternal life, and declared that, if they did not so come, they should all die in their sins. He said He had power to call to His aid "twelve legions of angels," who would gladly tender Him celestial protection, if required.
3. Because of what He did. His life was filled with deeds of sympathy and self-sacrificing benevolence. He assumed and exerted perfect control, both in the physical and moral world.
4. Because of what He was. "Great is the mystery of godliness; God manifest in the flesh." Omnipotence clothed in frailty.
II. JESUS CHRIST IS THE MOST WONDERFUL BEING IN HEAVEN. Not that He is an intruder, or a newcomer. He was at home in heaven, and dwelt amid the underived glory of His Godhead before man or angel was created. He is the most "wonderful" Being in heaven because of —
1. His history. He has a history of honour and glory in heaven, and a history of unspeakable sorrow and suffering on earth.
2. His relationship. He appears in heaven in the unique relationship of Brother and Redeemer of our race, and Son of God.
3. His work. Through the glorified human lips of Jesus Christ the Divine mandates for the control of the universe are now uttered. The feet once spiked to the Cross now rest upon the throne. Through the Person and work of this wonderful Being, redeemed humanity is elevated to the very Person and throne of the Deity.
Parallel VersesKJV: For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counseller, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.