And when Jesus was passed over again by ship to the other side, much people gathered to him: and he was near to the sea.…
I. SLEEP IS REST, or gives rest to the body: so death.
1. Rest from labour and travail.
2. Rest from trouble and opposition.
3. Rest from passion and grief.
4. Rest from sin, temptation, Satan, and the law.
II. SLEEP IS NOT PERPETUAL; we sleep and wake again; so, though the body lie in the grave, yet death is but a sleep; we shall wake again.
III. THE SLEEP OF SOME MEN DIFFERS VERY MUCH FROM THAT OF OTHERS: So the death of saints differs from that of the wicked.
1. Some men sleep before their work is done; so some die before their salvation is secured.
2. Some fall asleep in business and great distraction, others in peace.
3. Some dread the thought of dying, because of the dangers that lie beyond. But saints have no fear.
4. Some fall asleep in dangerous places, and in the midst of their enemies — on the brink of hell, surrounded by the spirits of perdition. But saints die in the view of Jesus; in the love and covenant of Jesus.
IV. A MAN THAT SLEEPS IS GENERALLY EASILY AWAKENED: So the body in death shall be much more easily awakened at the last day than the soul can now be aroused from its sleep of sin.
Parallel VersesKJV: And when Jesus was passed over again by ship unto the other side, much people gathered unto him: and he was nigh unto the sea.