Be watchful, and strengthen the things which remain, that are ready to die: for I have not found your works perfect before God.…
I. WHAT YOU ARE CALLED UPON TO HOLD FAST. You are exhorted to hold fast the truths of the gospel; to lay to heart those precepts, and commands, and promises, which the great God hath condescended to utter on your account.
II. How YOU ARE TO HOLD THESE THINGS FAST.
1. With the assent of your judgment, holding fast that which is good, not suffering the sophistries and false arguments of others to blind and to confound you.
2. With the consent of the heart.
3. With faith. Not a mere historical faith; not a mere speculative faith; but a faith apprehending the greatness of the Son of God.
4. In our lives and conversations; walking in the truth of Jesus.
5. With meekness, but with resolution.
6. With prayer and perseverance.
III. WHY YOU ARE TO HOLD FAST THAT WHICH IS DELIVERED UNTO YOU.
1. Because of its excellency; the incomparable value of Divine truth. Truth reflects the Divine image; truth attempers the glories of the great God, and exhibits His perfections.
2. Because of the violence and the wrong which were otherwise offered to God.
3. Because of its blessed tendency; for, by making us holier, even in this life, that which we hear makes us happier.
4. You must hold fast the words of sound doctrine, because they affect the great and the coming destinies of the imperishable soul.
(J. T. Judkin, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Be watchful, and strengthen the things which remain, that are ready to die: for I have not found thy works perfect before God.