The beginning of the gospel of Jesus Christ, the Son of God;…
I. LET US INVESTIGATE THE DIFFERENT FEELINGS WHICH GAVE BIRTH TO THIS INQUIRY.
1. With many it was a feeling of thoughtless wonder.
2. Angry jealousy prompted the question in some.
3. There was yet another class of questioners, whose state of mind may properly be described as that of irresolute doubt.
II. THE TRUE ANSWER TO THE QUESTION.
1. Go to the multitude by whom Jesus is surrounded, and ask, "Who is this?"
2. Go to the ancient prophets and ask, "Who is this?" (Zechariah 9:9).
3. Go to the apostles after they were enlightened by the Holy Spirit.
4. Go to the experienced believer.
(J. Jowett, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: The beginning of the gospel of Jesus Christ, the Son of God;