For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to good works, which God has before ordained that we should walk in them.
I. ITS CHARACTERISTICS.
4. When complete, perfection in beauty.We, beaten and tossed by the stormy waves of circumstance, shall be so perfect as to please God Himself.
II. ITS PURPOSE. There are good works here and hereafter. When we lay down our wearied heads and die, we are not done with service. We shall serve God in another world more perfectly than now.
1. Good works have their origin in love, i.e., they are inspired by the Holy Ghost.
2. Good works are ordained of God.
3. How shall we know what we ought to do amongst the multiplicity of good works?
(1) We must be guided to a certain extent by our own predispositions. Some are disposed to self-culture; let them, then, go on and cultivate their natures. Some love to teach. Some delight in practical benevolence. For all there is a work.
(2) We must look at our abilities — what we can do.
(3) We must seek God's direction.
Parallel VersesKJV: For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.