1 Peter 2:6
Why also it is contained in the scripture, Behold, I lay in Sion a chief corner stone, elect, precious…
I. JESUS CHRIST IS THE FOUNDATION STONE, OR THE FUNDAMENTAL TRUTH OF CHRISTIANITY.
1. Jesus Christ is the cardinal truth of the Christian system.
2. Jesus Christ is the central truth of Christianity.
3. Jesus Christ is the all-comprehensive truth of Christianity. Christ is Christianity.What is meant by it? Two things.
(1) First, that Jesus Christ is essential to His religion. Plato is not essential to Platonism. Suppose that nothing was known of the birth, life, and death of Plato, that his writings came down to us anonymously, it would make but very little difference to his students. And what is true of Plato as a philosopher is also true of Cakyamouni, Confucius, and Mahomet, as founders of religions. Their personalities form no integral portion of their systems. Plato said, "Accept my ideas"; Christ said, "Accept Me." Cakyamouni said, "This is the way, by renunciation"; Christ said , "I am the Way." They, each and all, put the centres of their systems outside themselves; but Christ put the centre of His in His own person.
(2) But, secondly, the phrase, Christ is Christianity, means precisely the same as when we say that the tree is the branches. The tree throws itself out into branches, and it must be patent to all that there can be no more in the branches than there is already in the tree.
II. JESUS CHRIST IS THE CORNERSTONE, OR THE HARMONISING TRUTH OF CHRISTIANITY.
1. He is the Cornerstone of the religions of the world; that is to say, in Him and the religion He instituted all other religions meet and are unified.
2. Jesus Christ is the Cornerstone of Christian doctrines; in other words, in Him they find the principle of their reconciliation.
3. Jesus Christ is also the Cornerstone of Christian Churches; in Him is their one point of union.
III. JESUS CHRIST IS THE SURE FOUNDATION. "Whosoever believeth in Him shall not be confounded."
1. Jesus Christ is the sure foundation, the one truth which maintains its ground notwithstanding the fierce assaults made upon it from time to time.
2. He is a sure foundation for us to build thereupon the hope of everlasting life.
(J. C. Jones, D. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Wherefore also it is contained in the scripture, Behold, I lay in Sion a chief corner stone, elect, precious: and he that believeth on him shall not be confounded.