And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament, that by means of death…
This blood sprinkled on the people was a significant type and figure of the blood of our Saviour Christ, whereby the new testament is confirmed to us.
1. That was the blood of goats and heifers; this of Christ the immaculate Lamb of God.
2. Moses was the sprinkler of that blood: the Holy Ghost is the sprinkler of this.
3. That was sprinkled on the face or garments of the people: this on our hearts and consciences.
4. The aspertorium, the sprinkling stick, there was made of purple wool and hyssop: the aspertorium here is faith. With that doth the Spirit of God sprinkle on us the blood of Christ.
5. That sprinkling did but sanctify the outward man: this the hid man of the heart.
6. The force and power of that sprinkling lasted but a while: the efficacy of this sprinkling continueth for ever. Therefore let us all be desirous of this sprinkling.
(W. Jones, D. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first testament, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance.
WEB: For this reason he is the mediator of a new covenant, since a death has occurred for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first covenant, that those who have been called may receive the promise of the eternal inheritance.