By faith Enoch was translated that he should not see death; and was not found, because God had translated him…
I. A CAREER DISTINGUISHED FOR ITS GODLINESS. "Walked with God." His life was an embodiment of the Divine.
1. Devoted to God.
(1) Intimately acquainted with God.
(2) In constant fellowship with God.
(3) Full of confidence in God.
(4) Engaged in active service for God.
2. Satisfactory to God.
3. Commended by God.
II. A CAREER REMARKABLE IN ITS TERMINATION. "Translated."
1. Exempted from the great trial of life. He was too full of the living God to die.
(1) A special honour for his extraordinary holiness.
(2) An intimation how all might have been taken out of the world, had there been no sin.
(3) A prophecy of victory over death for all the good at the resurrection.
2. Removed from the world in a unique manner.
(4) Suggestive. Proving —
(a) That there is a future state.
(b) That the body and soul exist hereafter.
(c) That the departed good dwell with God for ever.
(B. D. Johns.)
Parallel VersesKJV: By faith Enoch was translated that he should not see death; and was not found, because God had translated him: for before his translation he had this testimony, that he pleased God.
WEB: By faith, Enoch was taken away, so that he wouldn't see death, and he was not found, because God translated him. For he has had testimony given to him that before his translation he had been well pleasing to God.