The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?
I. A DIFFICULT SUBJECT TO DEAL WITH.
1. The examination is made by the guilty party into his own character.
2. Nothing more humiliating and painful to man's pride.
II. NO DECEPTION LIKE THAT OF THE HEART.
1. It is the fountain of deceit.
2. It deceives its owner and best friends often.
3. Its deceit is in a large measure voluntary.
4. Its deceitfulness is insidious in its growth.
5. Will be terrible in its consequences.
III. THE EXAMPLES OF SCRIPTURE BEAR THIS OUT (1 Kings 13:11-18; 2 Kings 5:22-27; 2 Kings 8:7-15; Acts 5:5-10).
IV. THE HEART DECEIVES ITS POSSESSOR CONTINUALLY. With regard to —
1. Its motives.
2. Its inclinations.
3. Its safety amidst temptations.
4. Its power of reformation.Learn:
1. To distrust and watch it.
2. To trust in Christ and His Word.
Parallel VersesKJV: The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?