And these all, having obtained a good report through faith, received not the promise:…
I. WHAT IS THIS PORTION?
1. Religion here in all that constitutes it.
2. Religion future in all its glorious prospects.
II. BETTER THAN WHAT?
1. Certainly better than the world at its worst — in its degrading pleasures, selfish purposes, hatred, and strife.
2. Better than the world at its best.
(1) In the achievements of science.
(2) In art.
(3) In literature.
(4) In its friendship, sympathy, love.
3. Better than the best things of the Patriarchal and Mosaic dispensations.
III. IN WHAT RESPECTS BETTER?
1. In that it includes God's care and attention, and our help cannot fail.
2. In that it forms His highest and most costly provision.
3. Now it —
(1) Provides for every man.
(2) Fills every holy desire.
(3) Is spiritual in character.
(4) Is certain amid a changing world.
(5) Grows continually better.
4. In the future —
(1) It ends in heaven.
(2) Its blessings will be eternal.Learn:
1. To be sure you are the heirs of this portion.
2. To think of it often.
3. To walk worthy of your vocation.
Parallel VersesKJV: And these all, having obtained a good report through faith, received not the promise: