And it came to pass on the eighth day, that Moses called Aaron and his sons, and the elders of Israel;…
I. In the relations of men to Jehovah there are those who ATTAIN A HIGHER LIFE OF PRIVILEGE AND OF POWER. The high priest alone was empowered to bless. His was a spiritual elevation above the priests.
1. Conscious nearness to God is not equally attained by all.
2. Sacred power from God is not equally derived by all.
II. HIDDEN FELLOWSHIP WITH JEHOVAH IS THE SOURCE OF EXALTED QUALIFICATION, THE SPRING OF BENEFICENT SPIRITUAL POWER. Aaron had spent solemn seasons during the seven days enclosed within the Tabernacle. It nerved his heart for his high task; it gave him assurance as he assumed the high function of blessing the people in Jehovah's name. But after that official act he went into more intimate fellowship and prayer with God (ver. 23); and when he came forth he again "blessed the people." It was the act of one whose soul was full of conscious power, to whom it was no longer an official trust and duty to bless, but a delight and privilege; it was the outflowing of a soul all a, dent and adoring.
1. Blessings can only flow from a soul itself rich in the affluence of blessedness.
2. Affluence of blessedness can only be won by the most intimate communion with the Lord.
III. THEY WHO LIVE AN ELEVATED SPIRITUAL LIFE ARE RICH BENEFACTORS TO A SINFUL WORLD.
1. They draw power from God which does not rest unused, but goes forth in blessing others.
2. They exert salutary and saving energy among men, by which earthly life is sweetened, and spiritual health is imparted, and Christian peace is bestowed.
3. Their very prayers, unheeded as factors of good, win daily benediction from Heaven on many hearts and homes.
4. As a daily influence in society such elevated souls shed a benign grace, making social circles purer, kinder, less selfish and sinful, more gentle, peaceful, and Christian.
5. In all their active ministries for Christ they are potent for good. They cannot "lift up their hands towards the people" but gracious results ensue. Thus should every Christian seek to be a "light of the world," "salt in the earth." Therefore let each —
(1) Live a life of nearest intercourse with the Lord — a "life hid with Christ in God";
(2) fulfil the solemn office of gracious intercessors for men, winning blessings by secret prayers.
(W. H. Jellie.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And it came to pass on the eighth day, that Moses called Aaron and his sons, and the elders of Israel;