1 Kings 18:41-46
And Elijah said to Ahab, Get you up, eat and drink; for there is a sound of abundance of rain.…
I. THE CAUSE OF THE FAMINE.
II. THE CAUSE OF THE RAIN.
1. Primary cause, God's mercy. He seems to catch beforehand the sound of its footsteps (LXX.). But as the punishment was not brought about without the prophet's intervention, so now the rain is to be hastened by his prayers.
2. What we may describe as the instrumental cause was Elijah's fervent supplications. It is the instance of the "effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availing much." "He prayed again, and the heaven gave rain" (James 5:16-18).
1. We learn from this lesson that prayer is of avail with regard to outward things.
2. We see clearly that it must be the prayer of faith, and not of human caprice, which is offered.
3. The lesson also warns us that national sins bring down national chastisements.
(W. H. Hutchings, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And Elijah said unto Ahab, Get thee up, eat and drink; for there is a sound of abundance of rain.