2 Corinthians 8:23
Whether any do inquire of Titus, he is my partner and fellow helper concerning you: or our brothers be inquired of…
I. THEY ARE THE GLORY OF CHRIST.
1. They are the monuments of the triumph of Christ. They are "saved" to some purpose. Many assert that they are "saved," but they cannot discover, neither can any one else, unto what they are saved. They seem to be saved unto nothingness, and in this sense to have experienced a singularly complete redemption. But the active, devoted Christian proves the reality of his faith by works following. Christ has not only triumphed over the judgment and heart, but over all powers, which are now willingly dedicated to his service.
2. They resemble Christ. Christ was pre-eminently a worker. He "went about doing good;" they seek to do so. He practised self-denial and endured suffering that others might be benefited; they strive to imitate him.
3. They exalt Christ. They desire that his kingdom may be extended over the earth. Whilst they labour for others, they do this out of their love for him. He is first, all else second. The exaltation of Christ is their supreme wish. Their mission is to speak well of his Name wherever they go.
4. Christ delights in them. They are the fruitful trees which he loves. He cursed the barren tree, but these he blesses. They are the faithful servants of the absent Lord. He loves not idlers who filch the name of "servant;" but those who are servants indeed his soul rejoices in. He glories in these, for they show forth his praise.
II. THEY SHOULD SEEK FULLY TO REALIZE THEIR HIGH CALLING.
1. The dignity of Christian work is not always perceived as fully as it should be. It is infinitely superior to all other work.
2. Nor its privilege. Were this adequately realized, what alacrity there would be in entering upon Christian service! As it is, alas! almost force has to be employed in some cases.
3. Nor its responsibility.
4. Nor how much the work done is affected by the life lived.
III. THEY SHOULD BE HIGHLY ESTEEMED. They are the instruments through which God works. They are the means employed by him for the building up of the kingdom of Christ. They are the special representatives of Christ upon earth. They should be
(3) honoured. - H.
Parallel VersesKJV: Whether any do inquire of Titus, he is my partner and fellowhelper concerning you: or our brethren be inquired of, they are the messengers of the churches, and the glory of Christ.