So he drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden Cherubim, and a flaming sword which turned every way…
1. Sin alone puts God upon separating souls from their comforts, antecedent and consequent.
2. When comforts are like to be abused, God prevents it by sending them from them.
3. The habitation of innocency is no place for sinners.
4. Jehovah is the disposer of all places and conditions, He puts in and sends out.
5. A cursed earth is the sinner's place of correction; or his bride-well, as we may say.
6. Sin hath brought a sentence for miserable toil on men in this place.
7. Man's base original corrupted with sin, fits him for a base servile condition (ver. 23).
8. God hath actually separated sin from the place of pleasure. From the first Adam until now, sin is out of paradise.
9. God doth not only throw out sinners from Eden or the place of pleasure, but keeps them out.
10. God hath His guard of angels to resist sinners, and drive them from rest.
11. Terrible are the means and active by which God drives off sinners from their pleasures.
12. No life can be recovered by man in looking to the former means of life in innocency. Therefore we must to Christ (ver. 24).
(G. Hughes, B. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: So he drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden Cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life.