And he removed from there to a mountain on the east of Bethel, and pitched his tent, having Bethel on the west, and Hai on the east…
1. Faith moves a man from place to place in the world, upon God's word or intimation.
2. The bad entertainment of believers in the world maketh them remove their stages.
3. In the wanderings of believers, God sends abroad the discoveries of His will to several places.
4. Faith maketh souls dwell in tents here below, and be still movable for heaven.
5. Faith causeth souls to adhere unto and make profession of the true religion of God in all places; faith is never ashamed of God, truth, worship, or way.
6. Believing souls cannot be without communion with God in offering to Him and hearing from Him.
7. Supplication to God and speaking in His name are special ways of worship suiting believers (ver. 8).
8. Faith maketh saints true sojourners below, to be still taking up their stakes at God's beck.
9. To all points, east and west and south, God orders the motions of the saints to leave some savour of His truth everywhere (ver. 9).
(G. Hughes, B. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And he removed from thence unto a mountain on the east of Bethel, and pitched his tent, having Bethel on the west, and Hai on the east: and there he builded an altar unto the LORD, and called upon the name of the LORD.