And Hamor the father of Shechem went out to Jacob to commune with him.…
1. Lustful rulers bring all under them into evils with themselves.
2. Judicatures, or gates of cities, are perverted and seduced by wicked rulers; they are made places to plead for lust.
3. Evil rulers use their tongues and speeches to deceive their people (ver. 20).
4. Lust will commend any by whom it may be gratified, though it find the contrary.
5. Self-seeking princes will persuade people to anything for their own ends.
6. Wicked powers pretend lawful affinity to be made when they aim at sinful lust (ver. 21).
7. Lustful rulers do not only submit to hard conditions themselves, but press them on their people.
8. Lust is content to symbolize in the hardest duty external of religion, to enjoy its desire.
9. Lust desires to unite with any people who gratify its desires (ver. 22).
10. Pretence of gain, and spoil, and advantage, is a fit bait to bring seduced souls to consent to lust.
11. Rulers in sin will never leave until they bring their people to consent with them to evil (ver. 23).
(G. Hughes, B. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And Hamor the father of Shechem went out unto Jacob to commune with him.