Then Philip went down to the city of Samaria, and preached Christ to them.…
I. CHRIST IS THE PROPER SUBJECT OF PREACHING. This means —
1. That the subject of preaching was not the wisdom of the world.
2. That it was the revelation concerning Christ.
(1) The nature of His person.
(2) The character of His work in all His offices.
(3) The method of salvation through Him: what we must do to obtain an interest in His salvation.
(4) The duties we owe Him.
II. CHRIST AS THE OBJECT OF PREACHING. The objects which men have are various, and some selfish and degrading. Some preach Christ of strife and envy. Others have objects which are legitimate, but subordinate, as the temporal or eternal well-being of men. The true specific and appropriate object is the exaltation and glory of Christ; that He may be known, worshipped, and obeyed.
III. REASONS WHY WE SHOULD PREACH CHRIST. Because —
1. He is our God and Saviour.
2. This is requisite to men becoming Christians.
3. To make men Christians is the best means of glorifying God, and the only means of promoting the happiness, holiness, and salvation of men.
IV. TO PREACH CHRIST IS A GRACE. The reasons why it is so great a favour are because —
1. It is the highest service of God and Christ.
2. To serve Him is the highest honour, and the greatest source of happiness.
(C. Hodge, D. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Then Philip went down to the city of Samaria, and preached Christ unto them.
WEB: Philip went down to the city of Samaria, and proclaimed to them the Christ.