1 Thessalonians 5:8
But let us, who are of the day, be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love; and for an helmet, the hope of salvation.
1. Subjectively considered hope is the expectation and desire of future good. Christian hope con templates —
(1) The highest exaltation and perfection of our nature. We shall be like God, conformed to the image of His Son in soul and body.
(2) This exaltation arises from the enlargement of all our powers to do and all our capacity to receive.
(3) Dominion or exaltation in dignity as well as in excellence and power.
(4) The presence and vision of God in Christ.
2. Its foundation is —
(1) The promise of God.
(2) The infinite merit of Christ.
(3) The love of God. From what we know of that love we infer that there is no benefit which it is not ready to confer.
(4) The witness of the Spirit that we are the children of God.
II. HOPE AS A HELMET.
1. Protects the believer's most vital part. In the old hand to hand conflicts the head was the worst exposed, and its protection of the first importance. Hence the helmet was as necessary as the shield. With the Christians the hope of salvation gives security, and, therefore, confidence, courage, and endurance.
(1) From the assaults of Satan against our faith and confidence in God; and from our proneness to neglect eternal tidings.
(2) From the attractions and allurements of the world.
(3) From the corruptions of our own hearts.
2. Adorns the believer. The helmet is the most attractive part of the warrior's equipment. So is hope to the Christian. It enables him to hold his head erect.
(C. Hodge, D. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: But let us, who are of the day, be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love; and for an helmet, the hope of salvation.