And God said to Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shall you say to the children of Israel, I AM has sent me to you.
I. In this memorial name of God WE ARE TAUGHT HIS LOFTY EXISTENCE. "I AM that I AM " is a name synonymous in meaning with Jehovah. This name includes within its vast extent of signification all past, present and future existence and duration.
1. Self-existence is a Divine attribute.
2. Eternity necessarily follows from His self-existence.
3. His proprietorship springs from the fact of His existence.
II. THE REVELATION OF THIS MEMORIAL NAME TO MOSES HAD PURPOSE, It was a crisis in the history of Moses, and also of that of Israel in Egypt.
1. One purpose it served was to strengthen Moses in executing his work.
2. Another purpose was to check idolatrous practices.
3. It taught Moses the safety of the people.
4. The revelation of this name in connection with the people's ancestry shows that they were the heirs of immortality.
5. The revelation of this name indicated victory.
(J. H. Hill.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you.