He that is not with me is against me: and he that gathers not with me scatters.
There is no device by which the god of this world more fatally deceives the souls of unwary men, than by leading them to suppose that they can take neutral ground in regard to the character and cause of Christ. Now, in proof of the assertion that neutrality in regard to the character and cause of Christ is impossible, let me —
1. Adduce the testimony of the Word of God. The text is explicit. "He that is not for Me is against Me, and He that gathereth not with Me scattereth abroad." The same thing is taught in language not less explicit in our Saviour's sermon on the mount. "No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one and love the other; or else he will hold to the one and despise the other; ye cannot serve God and Mammon." Take another passage equally decisive. "The friendship of the world is enmity with God." Whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is an enemy of God.
2. The same is evident from the nature of the human mind, and the laws under which it acts. Every man has some commanding principle of action, some supreme object of affection and pursuit; and he can have but one such object.
3. The truth of our doctrine is proved from the nature of the Divine requirements. These requirements are positive in their character, and cannot be satisfied with mere negative obedience.
4. The character and cause of Christ are in their nature such as render it impossible for any to feel indifferent or take neutral ground in respect to them.
5. The disclosures and decisions of the judgment day prove that neutrality in regard to Christ and religion is impossible.In conclusion, I am led to remark —
1. It may be expected that those who assume neutral ground will take it unkindly when their deception and danger are exposed.
2. If all who are not for Christ are against him, then it is immensely important that this truth should be clearly set forth and fully known.
(J. Hawes, D. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: He that is not with me is against me: and he that gathereth not with me scattereth.