According to my earnest expectation and my hope, that in nothing I shall be ashamed, but that with all boldness, as always…
I. HOW IS THIS PRINCIPLE MANIFESTED. As God of course He cannot be made great; only in His mediatorial character. In this He is made great.
1. By God the Father (Philippians 2:10).
2. By the angels. They did so when He was on earth. They do so in heaven.
3. By every individual partaker of His great salvation; by Paul and us.
(1) In our firm belief of His vicarious sacrifice.
(2) In our self humility.
(3) In unshaken confidence.
4. In earnest evangelism.
5. In hopeful death.
II. IN WHAT DOES ITS EXCELLENCY APPEAR.
1. This is all men's moral obligation.
2. The God greatest moral excellence.
3. The only right principle of action.
4. Because always honours it.
(N. M. Harry.)
Parallel VersesKJV: According to my earnest expectation and my hope, that in nothing I shall be ashamed, but that with all boldness, as always, so now also Christ shall be magnified in my body, whether it be by life, or by death.