Pray for the peace of Jerusalem: they shall prosper that love you.…
I. THE PEACE OF JERUSALEM. This implies —
1. The piety of its members.
2. A spirit of inquiry, promoting conversion.
3. The prevalence of brotherly love; the spirit of union; the disposition to bear one another's burdens, relieve one another's wants.
4. Conscientious and diligent attendance on all the ordinances.
5. The due exercise of discipline.
II. THE EXHORTATION TO PRAY FOR THE PEACE OF JERUSALEM. There should be stated seasons of prayer for the Divine blessing on the Church: its prosperity will thus be secured, because it is His own concern; it is the sphere in which His glory is displayed; while it provides the only means of saving men. We should pray that He may set His hand a second time to His work, as it concerns the success of His Church.
III. THE PROMISE, connected with the exhortation in the text, ensures their own prosperity to these who seek that of the Church.
(R. Hall, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Pray for the peace of Jerusalem: they shall prosper that love thee.