2 Timothy 4:6-8
For I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand.…
1. He looks downward into the grave (ver. 6) whither he was going, and there he sees comfort.
2. He looks backward and views his well-spent life with joy and comfort, and in a holy gloriation breaks forth, "I have fought the good fight," etc.
3. He looks upward, and there he sees heaven prepared for him.But doth not this savour of vain-glory and spiritual pride?
1. Answer: Not at all, for the apostle speaks not this proudly, as if he had merited anything at the hand of God.
2. He speaks this partly to comfort Timothy, and to encourage him to walk in his steps, keeping faith and a good conscience.
3. To encourage himself against the reproach of his reproaching violent death, he eyes that heavenly reward and that crown of life prepared for such as have fought the good fight as he had done.
(T. Hall, B. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: For I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand.