To the angel of the church of Ephesus write; These things said he that holds the seven stars in his right hand…
care over Churches and ministers: —
I. WHAT IS MEANT BY OUR LORD'S HOLDING THE STARS, HIS MINISTERS, IN HIS HAND.
1. It implies that it is He who appoints them to their office.
2. It is He who imparts the qualifications which are necessary for the effectual discharge of their office.
3. They are, with all their concerns, at His absolute disposal.
II. THE IMPORT OF HIS WALKING IN THE MIDST OF THE GOLDEN CANDLESTICKS.
1. It imports an accurate impression of the state, both as a society and as individuals.
2. It implies that His business, so to speak, lies in the management of His Churches. It is His "building," His "husbandry."
3. It denotes the complacency He takes in them.
(R. Hall, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Unto the angel of the church of Ephesus write; These things saith he that holdeth the seven stars in his right hand, who walketh in the midst of the seven golden candlesticks;