Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD:
I. THE SUPREMACY OF THE LORD. The one Being — incomparable, unrivalled.
1. As regards His existence. Alpha and Omega. Uncreated. Independent. From everlasting.
2. As regards His decrees. Consummate wisdom.
3. As regards His operations. Needs no assistance. Makes no mistakes.
4. As regards His faithfulness. The one immutable God.
5. As regards His love. Admits no rival. Has no equal.
6. As regards His claims. The only Being who has a right to our praise, service, love.
II. THE RELATIONSHIP OF THE LORD. "Our God."
1. Has made a covenant with us (Exodus 6:4-8; Hebrews 8:6).
2. Has adopted us.
3. Has endowed us. With Himself. His power, wisdom, etc., are all at our service.
4. Has owned the relationship.
III. THE COMMAND OF THE LORD. "Hear, O Israel." God would have us think much on this two-fold theme — what He is, and what He is to us —
1. To cheek presumption.
2. To stimulate faith.
3. To increase devotedness.
4. To dissipate fears.
5. To impart comfort.
6. To fire love.
(R. A. Griffin.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: