The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare you the way of the Lord, make his paths straight.
I. A WONDERFUL PREACHER.
1. The subject of prophecy.
2. The last of the prophets.
3. Choosing a strange place to preach in.
4. Adopting an antiquated garb and manner.
II. A WONDERFUL SERMON.
1. Not the exposition of a creed.
2. Not concerning traditions and ceremonies.
3. Personal — as repentance is a personal duty.
4. Practical — as leading to visible results.
III. A WONDERFUL CONGREGATION.
1. Strangely composed — of city and country people.
2. All travelling a great distance to hear the preacher.
3. All yielding to the truth — confessing their sins.
4. All submitting to the rite imposed by the desert preacher.
(J. C. Grey.)
Parallel VersesKJV: The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight.