Watch therefore: for you know not what hour your Lord does come.
I. THE UNEXPECTED ARRIVAL.
1. Of what person?
2. In what manner?
3. For what purpose?
4. At what time? Date unknown (ver. 36), knowledge might induce carelessness, etc.
II. THE UNFORESEEN DISCLOSURE.
1. To many, of the character of others. It will be a day of great surprises. We only judge by appearances. God knows thought, intention, character.
2. To many, of their own destiny. Judge not. Leave the judgment with God.
III. THE NEEDFUL WATCHING.
1. With increasing prayer.
2. With unfaltering diligence.
3. With unfailing patience. Biding the Lord's time submissively, lie will not always tarry.
(J. C. Gray.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Watch therefore: for ye know not what hour your Lord doth come.