Now Moses kept the flock of Jethro his father in law, the priest of Midian: and he led the flock to the backside of the desert…
I. THE LEARNED SHEPHERD.
1. Humility. From a palace he stoops to this lowly life.
2. Patience. For forty years he thus laboured.
3. Fidelity. Led his father-in-law's flock.Involved seeking out the best pasturage: folding, and guarding, etc. A good servant in his own house, before God made him a master in Israel. "Faithful in little," etc.
II. THE GREAT SIGHT.
1. Where it appeared. In the wilderness. God there also.
2. When it appeared. In the time of Israel's sorrow, and Moses' toil.
3. Wherefore it appeared.
(1) Because the day of deliverance was near.
(2) To instruct the mind of Moses, and excite his curiosity.
(3) To represent the state of the Israelites.A Church in the furnace of affliction. The bush not consumed, though the fire was hot. Israel flourishing in trial. It was not only a "wonder," but a "sign." A great sight, but not merely a something to look at and investigate; but also to learn from.
III. THE PRESENT GOD. He dwelt in the bush (Mark 12:26; Luke 20:37; Acts 7:35; Deuteronomy 33:16). God in the bush showed His relation to His people.
1. With them in trouble.
2. Sustains them in trouble.
3. With them a source of instruction.Learn —
1. To cultivate high qualities in lowly callings.
2. Seek our comfort in affliction from an ever-present God.
(J. C. Gray.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Now Moses kept the flock of Jethro his father in law, the priest of Midian: and he led the flock to the backside of the desert, and came to the mountain of God, even to Horeb.