And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.
I. WHEREIN IT CONSISTS.
1. Not in a miraculous gift of languages.
2. Nor in a formal repetition of pious expressions.
3. But in a heart and mouth opened to thankful praise of Divine grace and joyful confession of the Lord.
II. WHENCE IT PROCEEDS.
1. Not from our natural state.
2. Nor from the arts and sciences.
3. But from above, from the Spirit of God, who touches heart and lips with fire from heaven.
III. WHAT PURPOSE IT SERVES. Not to vain self-glorification or worldly delectation, but to the praise of God and to the message of salvation to the world.
Parallel VersesKJV: And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.