I will instruct you and teach you in the way which you shall go: I will guide you with my eye.…
I. THE PLACE OF GUIDANCE.
1. The place of forgiveness.
2. The place of confession.
3. The place of prayer and of communion.
4. The place of personal appropriation of the presence of Jesus.
II. THE PROCESS OF DIVINE GUIDANCE.
1. The exterior process.
(2) The Word of God.
(3) The Holy Spirit.
(4) The outward providences of God.
2. The interior process.
(1) Map out the whole circumstances in the presence of God simply, as far as you know them.
(2) Bring your will while it is yet in a fluid condition, if I may so speak, and place it before God, that He may mould it and direct it before it is solidified.
(3) There must be a deep detaching of your affections in the matter, by the power of the Holy Spirit; your affections must be untwined, ready to twine round whatever God tells you is His will.
(4) Then bring all the materials naturally found for forming a judgment, and spread them out in the presence of God.
(5) After thus yielding your will, after detaching your affections, after preparing an altar of sacrifice by bringing all the materials for forming f judgment, and after laying yourselves upon it, what next? Wait. Scarcely a Christian dare do it. And I venture to say this is why so few hear the voice of God. We all have the written Word, but He speaks behind it, as well as through it.
(C. A. Fox.)
Parallel VersesKJV: I will instruct thee and teach thee in the way which thou shalt go: I will guide thee with mine eye.