And when they had kindled a fire in the middle of the hall, and were set down together, Peter sat down among them.…
1. Mark and admire the honesty and impartiality of the sacred historians. All four state this blot on Peter's character; and their combined account presents it fully and with many dreadful aggravations.
2. Let the example of Christ, in this case, teach us to pity and to seek to restore the fallen.
3. Let us consider Peter's denial of his Lord as a warning to us all. We may soon become very guilty, and be exposed to shame in an unguarded moment; and there is hardly any sin we may not be guilty of, if left to ourselves.
4. Let us be on our guard against the particular causes that led more immediately to Peter's fall.
(3) Fear of man.
(4) False shame.
(5) Bad company.
5. Let those who, like Peter, have fallen, imitate Peter in his repentance.
(James Foote, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And when they had kindled a fire in the midst of the hall, and were set down together, Peter sat down among them.