And all the people that came together to that sight, beholding the things which were done, smote their breasts, and returned.
1. See here accumulated evidence of the truth of Christianity. Think of the fulfilled prophecies already noticed.
2. See here the true atonement for sin, and receive it by faith.
3. See here, and admire, the love of the Father, and of the Son to perishing sinners. This display of the Father's love far surpasses any other which He has given.
4. See here the certainty and the dreadful nature of the punishment of the obstinately wicked in the other world.
5. See here your example. What I chiefly refer to at present is His patient submission to His sufferings.
6. See here the most powerful motives to repentance, the mortification of sin, and the prosecution of holiness. In the last place, see here every encouragement to perishing sinners to come to Christ for safety, and to believers to rejoice more and more in confidence in His merits.
(James Foote, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And all the people that came together to that sight, beholding the things which were done, smote their breasts, and returned.