And before the throne there was a sea of glass like to crystal: and in the middle of the throne, and round about the throne…
I. IT STANDS IN IMMEDIATE CONTACT WITH THE PRESENCE AND GOVERNMENT OF GOD.
1. It is the ideal of intelligent creatureship to live in the immediate presence of God.
2. It is the ideal of intelligent creatureship to serve in connection with the celestial government of all things.
II. IT HAS NUMEROUS INLETS OF KNOWLEDGE WHICH AID IN A VIGILANT CONDUCT OF LIFE.
1. They have a power to understand history: eyes behind.
2. They have a power to comprehend prophecy: eyes before.
3. They have power to interpret self: eyes within.
III. It is gifted with a combination of varied and well-balanced abilities.
1. Great courage.
2. Enduring industry.
3. True intelligence.
4. Sublime aspiration.
5. Swift service.
IV. IT IS EVER ASCRIBING DEVOUT PRAISE TO THE GREAT GOD. Lessons:
1. There are in the unseen universe intelligent creatures vastly superior to man.
2. As these creatures find the highest joy in the service of God, so should man.
3. Man should seek to enter into the vigour of an ideal creatureship.
(J. S. Exell, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And before the throne there was a sea of glass like unto crystal: and in the midst of the throne, and round about the throne, were four beasts full of eyes before and behind.