John to the seven churches which are in Asia: Grace be to you, and peace, from him which is, and which was, and which is to come…
(with ver. 1): —
I. THE HUMILITY OF THE CHRISTIAN LIFE.
1. The Christian life is a service: rendered to —
(3) The Christian himself.
(4) Humanity.It is —
(a) Great in requirement.
(b) Solemn in obligation.
(c) Eternal in reward.
2. The Christian life as a service is esteemed lowly.
II. THE DIGNITY OF THE CHRISTIAN LIFE.
1. It is a life of moral rulership. He is a moral king. He rules by prayer. Many conspiracies are formed against Him, but He outlives and controls them all.
2. It is a life of moral sacrifice. He is a priest, not domineering and exclusive, but loving and expansive in His sympathies.
III. THE HARMONY BETWEEN THE KING-HOOD AND THE SERVANTHOOD.
1. The Christian is a king because he is a servant.
2. The Christian is a priest because he has a trust.Lessons:
1. As servants of God let us do His work.
2. As kings of God, let us extend His kingdom.
3. As priests of God, let us offer His sacrifices.
(J. S. Exell, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: John to the seven churches which are in Asia: Grace be unto you, and peace, from him which is, and which was, and which is to come; and from the seven Spirits which are before his throne;