Make you an ark of gopher wood; rooms shall you make in the ark, and shall pitch it within and without with pitch.
I. THAT GOD IS NEVER AT A LOSS FOR A METHOD WHEREBY TO ACHIEVE THE SAFETY OF THE GOOD (ver. 14).
1. We find that the good are often in imminent peril.
2. We find that the good are often in peril through the prevalence of sin in the world around them.
3. We find that when it is the purpose of God to save the good from peril, He is never at a loss for means whereby to do so.
II. That in the working out of these methods for the safety of the good, THE GOOD ARE DESIRED TO RENDER THEIR MOST EFFECTIVE COOPERATION (ver. 15).
1. This cooperation involves an utter self-abandonment to the Divine teaching.
2. It involves self-sacrifice.
3. It involves much ridicule.
III. That in the working out of these methods for the safety of the good, THE DIVINE PROVIDENCE CONNECTS THEM WITH THE TEMPORAL NEEDS OF THE FUTURE. (vers. 19-22).
1. Let a remembrance of God's care for the good inspire comfort within the hearts of those in perilous circumstances.
2. That good men should be thoughtful and devout in their cooperation with the Spirit and providence of Gad.
3. That by such cooperation men enhance the temporal interests of the world.
(J. S. Exell, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Make thee an ark of gopher wood; rooms shalt thou make in the ark, and shalt pitch it within and without with pitch.