And it shall come to pass, if they will not believe you, neither listen to the voice of the first sign…
I. THE DIVINE BEING RECOGNIZES THE PROBABILITY THAT MEN WILL NOT WELCOME THE TRUTH UPON ITS FIRST PRESENTATION TO THEM. Yet the message proclaimed by Moses was —
1. Adapted to their condition Announcing freedom. The tendency of all unbelief is to intensify slavery of moral nature.
2. Wonderfully simple.
3. Divinely authenticated. Miracles will not convince a sceptic.
II. THE DIVINE BEING MERCIFULLY MAKES PROVISION FOR THE CONVICTION AND PERSUASION OF MEN in reference to the reality of the truth proclaimed, notwithstanding their confirmed unbelief. This method of treatment is —
1. Considerate. Every facility given for complete investigation.
2. Merciful. Sign after sign.
III. THE PERSISTENT UNBELIEF OF MEN IS LIKELY TO AWAKEN EVIDENCES OF TRUTH INDICATIVE OF THE DIVINE DISPLEASURE (ver. 9).
1. Evidences that recall past sorrows. Reminding of murder of children in river.
2. Evidences prophetic of future woe. Indicating a strange and unhappy change in their condition, if they embraced not the message of Moses.
(J. S. Exell, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And it shall come to pass, if they will not believe thee, neither hearken to the voice of the first sign, that they will believe the voice of the latter sign.