And as he passed by, he saw Levi the son of Alphaeus sitting at the receipt of custom, and said to him, Follow me…
I. THAT CHRIST CALLS MEN TO FOLLOW HIM.
1. That the call of Christ is antecedent to any human endeavour after Him.
2. That it is often effectively addressed to the most unlikely men.
3. That it is addressed to men when they are occupied with the secular duties of life.
4. That it takes men from the lower duties and sends them to the higher.
II. THAT CHRIST'S CALL TO MEN MUST BE IMMEDIATELY OBEYED — "And he arose and followed Him."
1. That obedience must be immediate.
(1) Not to be hindered by intellectual perplexities.
(2) Not to be hindered by commercial or domestic anxieties.
2. That obedience must be self-sacrificing.
3. That it must be willing.
4. That it must be continuous.Learn:
1. To heed the calls of Christ to the soul.
2. To subordinate the secular to the moral.
3. That true religion consists in following Christ.
4. That it is well to speak to men for their moral good.
(J. S. Exell, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And as he passed by, he saw Levi the son of Alphaeus sitting at the receipt of custom, and said unto him, Follow me. And he arose and followed him.