And Adam knew Eve his wife; and she conceived, and bore Cain, and said, I have gotten a man from the LORD.…
I. THAT IT IS DESIGNED FOR THE NUMERICAL INCREASE OF HUMANITY.
1. The position of Adam and Eve prior to the birth of their two sons was unique. Alone in the great world.
2. Their position was interesting. A great crisis in their lives. Fallen, yet encircled by Divine mercy.
II. THAT IT SHOULD BE CAREFUL AS TO THE NOMENCLATURE OF ITS CHILDREN.
1. Child nomenclature should be appropriate. "Cain" signifies "possession." A moral possession. The gift of God.
2. Child nomenclature should be instructive. "Abel" signifies "vanity." Our first parents' verdict on life, gathering up the history of their past and the sorrows of their present condition.
3. Child nomenclature should be considerate. In harmony with good taste and refined judgment. Pictures of goodness and patterns of truth.
III. THAT IT SHOULD JUDICIOUSLY BRING UP CHILDREN TO SOME HONEST AND HELPFUL EMPLOYMENTS.
1. These two brothers had a daily calling.
2. A distinctive calling.
3. A healthful calling.
4. A calling favourable to the development of intellectual thought.
IV. THAT IT SHOULD NOT BE UNMINDFUL OF ITS RELIGIOUS OBLIGATIONS (vers. 3, 4).
1. These offerings are rendered obligatory by the mercies of the past.
2. These offerings should be the natural and unselfish outcome of our commercial prosperity.
3. These offerings ought to embody the true worship of the soul.
1. That domestic life is sacred as the ordination of God.
2. That children are the gift of God, and are often prophets of the future.
3. That working and giving are the devotion of family life.
(J. S. Exell, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And Adam knew Eve his wife; and she conceived, and bare Cain, and said, I have gotten a man from the LORD.