And Moses said, This is the thing which the LORD commands, Fill an omer of it to be kept for your generations…
I. BY WHOM THE MEMORIAL WAS ENJOINED. "The Lord." We have need to set up memorials in our lives which shall call upon our souls to remember the benefits of the Lord. It is the will of heaven that its gifts should be held in constant remembrance.
II. IN WHAT THE MEMORIAL CONSISTED. "Fill an omer of it to be kept for your generations."
1. This memorial was reasonable.
4. Valuable. Golden pot (Hebrews 9:2).And the memorials of the soul should not find expression in valueless things, but in the richest treasures of man. God is worthy our best offerings.
III. WHERE THE MEMORIAL WAS DEPOSITED. "And lay it up before the Lord." "So Aaron laid it up before the Testimony, to be kept." And so this memorial was laid up before the Lord, in the ark of the covenant. Thus we must keep the memorials of the soul in devout spirit, and with a constant trust in the mediatorial work of Christ.
IV. THE DESIGN THE MEMORIAL CONTEMPLATED. "That ye may see the bread wherewith I have fed you in the wilderness." "To be kept for your generations." Each generation leaves a moral deposit behind it, for good or evil. Lessons:
1. The soul must have a memorial of the Divine mercy.
2. The memorial of the soul must consist of the best thing it possesses.
3. The memorial of the soul will have respect to the redemptive work of Christ.
(J. S. Exell, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And Moses said, This is the thing which the LORD commandeth, Fill an omer of it to be kept for your generations; that they may see the bread wherewith I have fed you in the wilderness, when I brought you forth from the land of Egypt.
WEB: Moses said, "This is the thing which Yahweh has commanded, 'Let an omer-full of it be kept throughout your generations, that they may see the bread with which I fed you in the wilderness, when I brought you forth from the land of Egypt.'"