Now in the twenty and fourth day of this month the children of Israel were assembled with fasting, and with sackcloths…
I. This is a prayerful review of the Divine NAME. "And blessed be thy glorious name, which is exalted above all blessing and praise" (ver. 5).
1. It views God as the Creator of all things (ver. 6).
2. It views God as electing his people (ver. 7).
3. It views God as covenanting with the faithful (ver. 8).
4. It views God as delivering his people in the time of sore affliction (vers. 9, 10).
II. This is a prayerful review of the Divine ACTION. "And thou didst divide the sea before them" (ver. 11).
1. The act of deliverance (ver. 11).
2. The act of guidance. "Moreover thou leddest them in the day by a cloudy pillar" (ver. 12).
3. The act of instruction (vers. 13, 14).
4. The act of provision. "And gavest them bread from heaven for their hunger" (ver. 15).
5. The act of forbearance (ver. 17).
6. The act of conquest (ver. 24).
7. The act of retribution (ver. 27). - E.
Parallel VersesKJV: Now in the twenty and fourth day of this month the children of Israel were assembled with fasting, and with sackclothes, and earth upon them.