And God saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth…
1. The organic unity of society is favourable to the spread of moral evil.
2. The native willingness of the human soul to do evil is favourable to the contagion of moral wrong.
I. IT IS A WORLD IN WHICH MARRIAGE IS ABUSED.
1. We find that marriage was commenced on a wrong principle. It is altogether wrong for the sons of God to marry the daughters of men.
2. We find that physical beauty was made the basis of the matrimonial selection. We find that the marriage bond was violated by impurity.
II. IT IS WORLD IN WHICH VIOLENCE PREVAILS.
1. Men of physical strength became the rulers of the people.
2. Men of physical strength were the popular favourites of the day.
3. Men of physical strength were the terror of the day.
III. IT IS A WORLD IN WHICH SPIRITUAL INFLUENCES ARE REJECTED.
1. This degenerate world had not been entirely left to its own inclination.
2. The degenerate world rejected the holy influences of heaven.
3. The degenerate world was in danger of losing the holy and correcting influences of heaven.
IV. IT IS A WORLD UNDER THE IMMEDIATE INSPECTION OF GOD.
V. IT IS A WORLD THREATENED WITH DESTRUCTION BY GOD.
1. This threat was retributive.
2. This threat was comprehensive.
3. This threat was mingled with mercy.
1. To sanctify a long life by true piety, lest it become a means of impurity.
2. To avoid unhallowed alliances.
3. To coincide with the convictions of the Spirit or God.
(J. S. Exell, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.