And there was also a strife among them, which of them should be accounted the greatest.…
I. THERE IS A NECESSARY AND NATURAL DESIRE IN MAN FOR SUPERIORITY.
1. It is taken for granted that the principle exists universally.
2. It is admitted that the desire is an inherent principle.
3. It is therefore a holy and righteous principle.
4. It is a necessary principle.
II. THE BEST MEN MAY FAIL TO DISCOVER THE TRUE WAY TO HONOUR AND DIGNITY.
1. The cause of the disciple's failure. This strife arose in the absence of the Saviour
2. The spirit of their failure. "Accounted." Carnal, external, worldly ambition.
3. The manifestation of their failure.
III. FIDELITY TO CHRIST IN TRIAL QUALIFIES FOR THE HIGHER SPHERES AND HONOURS IN HIS KINGDOM.
1. Adherence to Christ brings us into contact with the greatest trials.
2. All true disciples cleave to Christ, even in His trials.
3. Christ will honourably acknowledge and reward fidelity in His disciples.
(1) It is honour as reward for humble service.
(2) It is distinguished honour.
(3) It will be satisfying honour.
(T. M. Evans.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And there was also a strife among them, which of them should be accounted the greatest.