Why, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which to day is, and to morrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you…
I. EXPLAIN WHAT WE UNDERSTAND BY A PARTICULAR PROVIDENCE. Many deny that God exercises a particular providence over the world. They acknowledge that God rules by general rules, but deny that these leave room for contingencies.
II. OFFER SOME CONSIDERATIONS IN FAVOUR OF A PARTICULAR PROVIDENCE.
1. That it appears from the nature of providence that it must be particular. We can no more conceive that one creature can uphold itself than another. It is absurd to suppose that a created object is independent of its Creator.
2. The supreme and ultimate end of Divine providence proves it to be particular. If God exercises a government over the world it is to some definite end; hence, providence must be particular over the parts as much as the whole.
3. The goodness of God requires Him to exercise a particular providence over His creatures. This leads Him to care for every member of His family.
4. The Scriptures represent God as exercising a particular providence over every part of creation. He telleth the number of the stars.Learn:
1. Then there can be no such thing as chance.
2. Then God will certainly accomplish His ultimate end in creation.
3. A particular providence displays the perfections of God in a glorious light.
4. The whole world is under obligations to Him for the favours it enjoys.
(Y. Emmons, D. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which to day is, and to morrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith?