And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.
1. By this prayer we are reminded of our constant liability to sin.
2. We are led to separate between the fact and theory of forgiveness.
3. We are led to regard forgiveness as a favour, and not as a claim.
4. We are reminded of the only condition upon which forgiveness can be extended to us.
5. We are taught to comply with the condition which is required.
(F. Edwards, B. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.