For the LORD's portion is his people; Jacob is the lot of his inheritance.
I. WHAT IS SAID OF THE LORD'S PEOPLE?
1. They are a chosen people.
2. They are a renewed people.
3. They are a people of faith.
4. They are a justified people.
5. They are a people who perform good works.
II. WHERE GOD FINDS HIS PEOPLE WHEN HE CALLS THEM.
1. Alienated from God.
2. Ignorant of God.
3. As wanderers, going astray.
4. Strangers to themselves.
5. Willing slaves to Satan.
6. Dead in sins.
III. THE SPECIAL CARE WHICH THE LORD TAKES OF HIS PEOPLE.
1. He leads them —
(1) To Christ for salvation.
(2) To see further into the plague of their own heart.
(3) Into the furnace of spiritual affliction.
2. He instructs them —
(1) In the plan of salvation.
(2) In the doctrine of the Trinity.
(3) In the efficacy of Christ's death.
(4) In the endearing relationship which God sustains to His people, as their Father, etc.
(5) In all the blessings of the covenant.
(J. J. Eastmead.)
Parallel VersesKJV: For the LORD'S portion is his people; Jacob is the lot of his inheritance.