Then Esther bade them return Mordecai this answer,…
1. The Christian should make no concealment of his piety. If Esther dared to reveal her religion, asking her maidens to unite in imploring the interposition of Jehovah, surely the Christian ought not to cloak his.
2. Sympathy shown to the suffering is advantageous to the giver as well as to the receiver.
3. Those who resist the evidence that the Church is not infrequently in a condition calling for immediate deliverance are enemies of true religion, not friends.
4. Christians should possess moral heroism.
5. If desirous of securing deliverance for the Church, we should endeavour to impress upon each a keen sense of personal responsibility.
6. We should endeavour to sustain those who are passing through trials for us. Mordecai and the Jewish people engaged in prayer while Esther exposed herself to death on their behalf.
7. Assurance of deliverance should impel to the performance of present duty.
(J. S. Van Dyke, D. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Then Esther bade them return Mordecai this answer,